Benefits of Dog Chews
If you’ve been anywhere on the internet in the last couple of months then you’ve seen the popularity of the online word game, Wordle. It’s a fun word game that entertains our brains, keeps us sharp and allows us time to destress. Dog chews provide pretty much these same benefits for our dogs, and even more. Imagine if playing a word game helped keep your teeth healthy and clean, too? This month, we’re taking a look at some positive reasons why you’ll want to give your dog a bone.
Why Chewing is Good for Dogs
Keeps Doggy Teeth Healthy - Unlike us humans, there are not dozens of dog dentists around town to help keep our pets’ teeth in top shape. A safe and effective thorough cleaning for your dog’s teeth will need to be done by your veterinarian.
The good news, however, is that dog chews provide an easy way to maintain good dental hygiene for a dog. Chewing also helps to reduce bad doggy breath, which if you have a dog that loves giving kisses, then you’ll definitely want to make sure you’re helping them keep clean.
A dog’s mouth is different from a human’s. Our saliva has an enzyme that helps to break down sugars, where dog’s don’t. That means processed soft dog foods and treats can leave a film on your dog’s teeth that can become plaque. This is typically the cause for stinky breath from bacteria that has built up. A quality dental chew helps to break down that bacteria and stimulates the gums, keeping them healthy also.
Chewing is Good for the Canine Mind - As we noted earlier, chewing satisfies a mental need for stimulation in dogs. One reason dogs have destructive behavior such as destroying shoes or ripping up kids’ toys. The act of tearing and ripping into a bone helps to release endorphins in a dog. It also exercises their jaws and necks, all resulting in a busy dog that is content and can later relax and not run away with your slippers! Chewing deters the bad behaviors that often come from boredom, so a good plan is to make sure your dog has a meat-based dog chew or toy when they’re left home alone for an extended time.
Selecting the Right Dog Chew
Not all dog chews are created equal. When purchasing a dog chew you’ll want to consider a few factors. The following is a list of recommendations from the AKC that will help you pick out the best dog chew for your big or little canine buddy.
- Hardness - Chews that are too hard can crack your dog’s teeth or lacerate their gums.
- Durability - The chew should be strong enough to withstand vigorous chewing. If it’s too soft, your dog can break off chunks and swallow them whole which is a health hazard.
- Long-lasting - Look for chews that will last as long as possible to keep your dog occupied and to go easy on your wallet.
- Size - Chews that are too small for your dog present a choking risk. Pick items that are large enough to prevent your dog from getting the entire thing in their mouth at once.
- Ingredients - Look for limited, natural ingredients and avoid any flavorings/coatings that could upset your dog’s stomach.
A Perfect NEW Dog Chew!
The Combine Dog Co. is excited to share it’s latest product in our family of healthy and natural dog food and treats. We’ve just launched The Combine Dog Co. Natural Dog Chews include Duck Heads, Duck Feet, and Turkey Necks.
Duck is an excellent protein choice for picky eaters. These duck heads are a natural source of essential vitamins and minerals which help support strong bone, muscle and joint health.
Our Turkey and Duck Chews, including the Heads and Feet, are dried for over 24 hours at a low temperature to ensure that the bones break rather than splinter like cooked, brittle bones. Fully digestible, they’re a low-calorie protein that also acts as a toothbrush supporting gum and dental health.
Our Turkey Neck Chews are a delicious protein choice for allergy-prone dogs. Turkey necks are rich in glucosamine and chondroitin, boosting joint health. Either one of our Chew products will be a delightful treat for your dog.
Did You Say Dog Treats?
Yes, Dog Chews are considered a treat so be sure to provide them to your four-legged friend to help encourage good behavior. We also encourage adding variety and interest when feeding your dog by exploring dog food toppers as a different way of giving them treats.
The Combine Dog Co. has interesting and delicious dehydrated Dog Food Toppers for added protein and nutrients but you may also want to explore adding other natural products to your dog’s meal. Some of our favorite natural dog additions that are also easy to find in a health food or farmer’s market include: coconut oil, bee pollen, and other supplements.
- Coconut Oil for Dogs - PetMD says, “Coconut oil can aid dogs with everything from itchy or bumpy skin to digestion issues.” Coconut oil has shown that it can help with allergy issues, improve a dog’s skin and coat. The fatty acids in coconut oil is also a plus for dogs because it can impact your pet’s cognitive function. That’s a lot of good reasons to add coconut oil to your dog’s daily meal.
- PetMD recommends, “ ¼ teaspoon daily for small dogs up 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon daily for big dogs.” along with their meals. Many dogs also love the taste of coconut oil so it’s a win-win all around!
- Bee Pollen Benefits for Dogs - Pet owners who appreciate holistic and natural care for their dogs will be happy to know that bee pollen has been proven to offer dogs benefits. Bee pollen can be used as a nutritional supplement, for allergy relief, and to improve digestion. You can learn more about how bee pollen helps dogs from Animal Wellness Magazine.
- Natural Dog Supplements - There are several other natural dog supplements that have been shown helpful to dogs, such as fish oil, probiotics, antioxidants and glucosamine. Always look for natural alternatives to help your dog’s health and wellness. We recommend you do some research and talk to your veterinarian about any natural supplements before you give them to your dog.
Whether it’s dog supplements, adding something new to a dog’s daily meal, such as a topper or providing your dog with a delicious and natural bone, The Combine Dog Co. is always looking out for ways to offer the best and safest choices for your dog’s health that we think they’ll agree are delicious, too. Does your dog have a favorite chew?